Thursday, August 16, 2012

On the Road Again (Get the Stink Blown Off Ya)

After being around children for most of my life, having my own children for almost 5 years, and being a child myself at one point in time (no comments from any of you on this matter) you would think I would be smart enough to know that taking children to a restaurant in the evening, close to bed time, on a day that we have had a big adventure is a bad idea.  I however, as I have said before, never claimed I was smart, just awesome.

We had a grand adventure today going to the zoo with sweet friends Tabitha and Durin.  It was a wonderful day full of play and fun.  We closed out our time at Chick fil a in the play place for over an hour.  Needless to say, we had a big day.  The boys were pooped!

David and I have decided that we are going to start our first "Couple 90 Day Challenge" with ViSalus tomorrow so we wanted to kick it off with a dinner at a restaurant we had seen on a recent drive through Evansville.  In order to save time, the boys and I met David at the restaurant instead of having him come to the hotel and us going as a group. 

BIG MISTAKE

I REPEAT, BIG MISTAKE

The boys and I arrived at our destination first.  We got a table and began looking over the menu.  I chose our meal and decided that since David was running late I would go ahead and order in effort to speed things up. 

Shortly after asking for chocolate milk I realized I had made a blunder. If I had not been alone this would never have happened.  THIS is why you need another responsible adult with you when in public with kids. What was I thinking giving them chocolate this late at night?  Have I lost my mind?  Nah, I didn't walk in the place with a mind, how could I lose what I didn't have?

The man brought the milk to the table and what I saw made me want to scream.  This was not prepackaged chocolate milk.  This was white milk that he had added chocolate syrup to. 

A LOT OF CHOCOLATE SYRUP!!! 

Of course the boys sucked it down.  As they were drinking the beverage I could practically SEE the sugar hitting their system.  Almost immediately Jeffrey started doing his run through of funny faces he can make.  (did I mention the table we were sitting at was in the middle of the rows so we were on display for the whole restaurant to see???)  Bubba began playing the drums on the table and I just wanted to hide. 

I did the best I could to keep them at restaurant behavior (which is typically very strict unless I'm too pooped in which case I just manage to keep us from destroying the place).  I counted to 3 like 15 times for different behaviors which is great because they stop whatever it is they are doing when I get to 2 however, they just start up another annoying behavior or worse, they begin feeding off each other and I have to count them both down at the same time!

Finally, their food came to the table and I did my routine check to see how hot the chicken was by taking a bite and that's when the first meltdown came.  Bubba about had a heart attack because I took a bite of his food.  I do this every time so I don't know what the deal was but he was heart broken that I had eaten his food.  How did he recover? 

BY DROWNING HIS CHICKEN IN RANCH DRESSING AND SUCKING IT OFF THE CHICKEN!! 

No he was not taking bites, he was practically using the chicken as a straw to drink the ranch dressing.  (can I just tell you how gross and messy this was???)  We finally got a handle on the ranch situation without too much harm, I'm pretty sure only 2 tables were commenting on the strange kid drinking ranch dressing.  I took a breath and relaxed a little thinking that we were all enjoying our food finally until....

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING????

I look over and sure enough, Bubba was removing his shirt!  He said he was hot!  Oh my word.  Yes, we are rednecks, yes we have been living in FL however at no point in time is it ok to remove clothing in a restaurant.  EVER!

After a small episode we finally got his clothes back on finished our food and ran out of the restaurant.  We noticed that there were some storm clouds on their way in but didn't think much about it.  We had some errands to run so we went about our business.  As we were exiting Target that's when we heard the long blast from a nearby Tornado Siren.  We looked around the parking lot and a lady in the car next to us came over and we discussed where the tornado could be coming from and quickly left.

HOLY WIND BATMAN!

Can I just tell you how fast 60 and 70 mile an hour winds are?  Garbage cans blew over, trash was on the ground and we made it to our hotel just before the rain hit.  HOWEVER, because we were in separate vehicles we arrived at different times.  I had the doggie bags, 2 kids, and the bags from Target all to get into the hotel in strong winds.  Needless to say, it wasn't pretty.

Jeffrey kept asking what the noise was so I told him to look up in the sky and let me know if he sees a twisting ice cream cone come out of a cloud.  He kept saying, "THERE'S AN ICE CREAM CONE MOMMY!!!  THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!  MOMMY LOOK OVER THERE, I SEE AN ICE CREAM CONE!!"  (hind sight is a wonderful thing, this is not info I would have given him if I had known we would alert the tri-state area of upcoming ice cream cones.)  Thankfully, he was just seeing shapes in the clouds and not actual tornadoes. 

Getting into the hotel was an experience.  Bubba didn't have shoes on so I had to carry him.  He began to scream "WIIIIINNNNDDDYYYYY!!!  BLOW AWAY!!  HELP ME!!!!"  This did not at all bring any attention to us.  None of the people standing outside the hotel laughed at us.  Jeffrey decided not to be outdone by his brother and started to yell, "AHHHHHHHHHHHH, HELP ME!!!  I'M STUCK IN THE WIND AND I'M FLYING!!!!!  AHHHHHHHH"  Again, nobody was laughing as I juggled 3 food boxes, 3 bags, 2 kids, a purse, and my keys while trying to avoid the rain in a heavy wind storm. 

I have to say, I'm 100% positive that someone is posting about us on the Facebook status update right now.  I can safely say it is probably more than just one person.  At any rate, we aim to please when it comes to offering entertainment for others.  Maybe we should just ask TLC to follow us around and save us the time and effort of taking pictures and writing blogs. 

I'm happy to report, we did make it into the hotel (with the help of two very sweet strangers who took pitty on me and my situation).  We are safe and it seems the worst of the storm is past. 

Here is hoping that tomorrow is a little less chaotic but if it is not, here is hoping I survive to tell about it.:-)













No comments:

Post a Comment