Monday, August 13, 2012

On the Road Again (Are We There Yet?)

Friday August 3 was the day we packed up the car and David's new work truck and waved goodbye to PA.  We were on our way to his next training ground in Hawesville, KY (yes, I had to look it up too because I had never heard of it either so don't feel bad for not knowing it exists).  I had the pleasure of starting the trip off with Jeffrey in my car and Bubba had the pleasure of starting his trip off in daddy's new truck.  THIS WAS AWESOME! 

We started our caravan by taking a road a little less traveled.  The distance was the same if we had used the interstates so we decided to cut through the country and see farms instead of a tree lined road.  We found a little gas station and bought some breakfast items and continued our trip.  No issues, no drama, no tears (from the kids or the parents) and no chaos.  This was working out to be a GREAT DAY. 

Our vehicles hugged the curves and hills like pros and the trip was easy as pie.  Everything was going as we had planned and we were on schedule to meet up with our KY cousins by dinner time!  That is until....



wait for it.....


wait for it.....


we traded kids.

Half way through the trip we had promised a swap so that both boys could ride in the truck.  We stopped for some lunch, gas and the big swap.  Our lunch was Burger King (pretty much the ONLY option we had for miles and miles).  I went in (so potty breaks could be given) to order.  I waited

waited

waited

waited

waited

and waited.

I watched 4 people bring their food back to the counter as it was wrong in one way or another.  No ketchup, too much mustard, not enough meat patties, chicken instead of beef, yadda yadda yadda.  At that point you would think I would notice a trend and get the idea to check our food before taking it out to the family.  Well, as I said in the previous post I never claimed to be smart, just awesome.

I was finally handed our bag of food and I left the building.  Now my husband is a VERY picky condiment person.  Ketchup is the ONLY condiment he will eat and he does not like anything on his burger other than meat, cheese, and ketchup.  I decided before handing him his burger I would check it.  Sure enough, it was fully dressed.  DANG IT!  SERIOUSLY???

I took it back in and waited

waited

waited

waited

and waited.

Eventually I was handed a new burger with just meat, cheese, and ketchup.  Never mind it was a triple instead of a single, we can remove meat.  I took it back out and we began our trip (please remember we had swapped kids.  I was now traveling with Bubba).  Within about 3 min of being back on our main road I looked back to check on my little man and see how he was doing with his lunch and found a MESS.  (I know, how is it that I'm surprised that he made a mess right?  Isn't the definition of Bubba "walking mess"?)  In their amazing wisdom, instead of giving me a PLAIN cheeseburger in his kids meal IT HAD KETCHUP AND MUSTARD ON IT!  Oh my word.  To top it off, he decided to wear the bun as a hat.  That only helped in the spread of the toppings.  He now had highlights and low lights.  Blonde hair with red and yellow WAS AWESOME!  (not really)

I sighed and called David.  I told him to keep driving and I would catch up eventually.  I pulled over at a truck stop and began the cleaning process (and for those of you who are counting, yes this is the second time his seat had been massively cleaned in one week).  I used all the wet wipes I had on hand along with all the extra napkins that I had stored in my glove box.  Needless to say, once again I was totally pumped with my Pinterest "car garbage can". 

side note: if you don't have a Pinterest car garbage can get one now.  Go buy a plastic cereal box with a lid that has a flip top.  Put a plastic store bag down in like a can liner and the flip top keeps the trash inside!!  Soooo awesome

When I got him to the point I was able to walk away from the mess I got back in the car and began driving again.  There is a reason I ask for PLAIN CHEESEBURGERS PEOPLE! 

I'm happy to report, the wearing of a bun as a hat was really our only excitement for the trip.  We arrived at our cousin's house alive, energetic, and ready to play.  We spent the night, slept decent, spent a few min with the cousins in the morning and then hit the road again to our next stop!

Next up: Evansville, Indiana

Adventure rating: success (unless you were the ketchup and mustard.  Pretty sure they were terrified by the mop they were spread all over.  Bless Bubba, he needs a haircut)

No comments:

Post a Comment