Today we saw a new side of Bubba. Normally he is a pretty laid back kiddo who just lets the world pass him by while he laughs. He usually doesn't have much of an opinion nor does he voice his objection to things, that is until today.
David and I have decided that on our list of things to get done before May our landscaping is one thing we are ready to cross off. Since Lowe's is offering that tax card where they add 10% on the 18th we decided that today would be the perfect opportunity to finish a big project while also earning money! Win win situation! We went to Lowe's to gather everything we needed and needless to say, the boys had a blast. We ended up with 3 flat bed carts and one shopping cart FULL of stuff. Jeffrey helped pull a flat bed while Bubba rode in the shopping cart. All was going well. We went to pay and while the lady was scanning things employees were taking the carts out to David who was loading them into the car. Thanks to Subaru's large back space most everything fit until the shopping cart came out. That's when we realized we had run out of room for everything. No need to worry, I put the kids into their seats and we "planted" plants all around them. At this point you would think that if someone was going to get fussy it would be now. However, I guess the extra oxygen being produced in the car made everyone happy and the ride home was quite enjoyable.
We pulled into our yard, got the kids out and that's when it happened. Bubba went over to the toys on the front porch and grabbed a small toy tool. He started to use it in the dirt and Jeffrey decided that he wanted it instead. He walked over to Bubba and took it then started to walk away. I don't know if this was a mixture of built up frustration for being picked on or a new wave of self-prservation but Bubba got mad! He stomped over to Jeffrey, took both hands and grabbed his shirt and began yelling in his face. Jeffrey was totally shocked. He looked at me and said, "Mommy???" Taken by surprise I watched as this scene unfolded and saw my youngest son stand up for himself. He removed the toy from Jeffrey's hand, pushed his big brother and yelled some sort of 1 year old gibberish (which if translated would have probably sounded something like "DON'T DO THAT AGAIN") and then walked away. David and I (being the strong parents that we are) just stood there and laughed. What else could we do? Justice had been served! A toy was stolen and then recovered! The End!
This entire transaction proved several things to us. First of all, Bubba is no longer the mild mannered little laid back surfer dude we thought he was. Second, don't mess with Bubba. Third, if you do mess with Bubba be prepared to suffer the consequences cause there will be some.
I type this only to share my pure joy of watching these two personalities develop and form a bond as brothers. It is so cool to watch them stand up for each other and then stand against each other to protect self. It is amazing to see Jeffrey take care of his little brother and in return get hugs and love. I can't wait to see what the future holds for these two individuals. Needless to say, after seeing what I saw today, I'm pretty sure I don't have enough band aids to get us through childhood. Chances are we are facing some pretty good knock down, drag out fights. Don't worry though, just because Bubba is smaller he is also mighty. It looks like it will be a fair fight.:-)
That's awesome...you go, Bubba!
ReplyDelete