Monday, January 3, 2011

Female Eyes Only!

OK, if you are a guy reading this, trust me you want to stop now. I'm getting ready to talk about girly things and you really don't want to read this.

Ladies, today I had my "doctor appt". It is my first appt since my check up from the c-section so needless to say my first appt in FL. I showed up and realized that I had forgotten to eat. Not only was my stomach growling but I was all jittery from hunger too. (great way to meet your GYN for the first time huh?) Well, I did the whole weigh yourself thing and came out 30 pounds lighter than this time last year which made me soooo happy. Next we did my blood pressure which at this point was elevated due to my efforts of holding in my hunger growls and trying not to act like a crack addict on detox with the jitters. The lady looked at me and asked if I had anxiety about doctors at which point I stated, "anxiety? Me? No way! I'm just hyper!" (yeah, like that was a good answer) She looked at me like I was crazy and just smiled. She asked me to follow her to the exam room and then told me to sit down and wait for the doctor.

After waiting about 5 min the doctor came in for the "meet and greet" portion of the visit. He asked me about both c-sections, recovery times, complications, etc. Then he asked me about my BC pills. I told him that I didn't think they were working well to balance me out because I felt like I was a raging lunatic most of the time. I told him that my emotions and hyperactivity were out of control. That's when he asked me about our home situation. (ages of the children, pets, recent changes in environment, etc.) When I explained our situation he started to laugh (and when I say laugh I don't mean chuckle I mean belly laugh paired up with some tears.) I didn't know if I was supposed to be offended or laugh along with him so I just chose to sit there and wait for a response. Once he gathered his composure he said these words to me, "Melissa, I don't think it is your medication that is making you a raging lunatic, I think it is your life!"

Upon hearing that I realized that I do have quite an insane life. Every trimester of my pregnancy with Jeffrey we lived in a different state. 1st was in Fort Hood, TX, 2nd was in DC and 3rd was in CT. I didn't move around while pregnant with Nathaniel but we did move from CT to FL 4 weeks after his c-section. When you put that as the "pre-adventure" for what came last year I realize that the very fact that I'm still alive is a blessing!

After discussing changes and ideas he then asked me about my weight. I told him that it was a very slow process but that I was losing and was proud of the 30 pound I lost last year. He asked me what I was doing and I told him that most of it was portion control. He then proceeded to ask my if I drank much caffeine to which I answered, "I'm not gonna lie, yep I do!" He looked startled and said, "do you know that is where some of your weight is coming from? If you replace that with water you will lose your weight much faster." At that point I began to laugh (yes, it was the belly laugh with tears). I said, "did you not just hear what my life is like? How do you think I have survived? Water doesn't keep me awake!!!" He looked at me and said, "Oh, I understand. I guess we can forget the beverages for now, at least until your kids are living away from home huh?":-)

I walked out of there feeling pretty good about myself. I'm out of control cause my life is so it is TOTALLY ok to be a lunatic. The doctor didn't yell at me for my drinking habits (thank you Coke Cola) so it is ok to drink the quantity that I do. And I tell you this for one simple reason. If you see me on the street and I look like a raging lunatic, just feed me some Coke or Starbucks. The doctor said it was ok.:-) hehehehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment